Tuesday 7 March 2017

Blog Post 1

This is the first blog post for my final project in my AICE Media Studies AS class, and this consists of creating a magazine spread, a well as this corresponding blog. I chose this medium because it is a medium I feel comfortable doing on my own, rather than helming a film opening in solitude. This style of media generation feels a lot more natural to me when it comes to creative vision, especially in an individual basis. Don't get me wrong, I love the visual arts. I thoroughly enjoy (good) films and TV shows and have participated in filming and acting in online sketches and videos, which are somewhat successful. I simply have a soft spot in my heart for the written word and the romanticization of a magazine or publication writer, creating articles on the virtue of their own merit.

This connection is also convenient in the way that I am completely invested in creating and performing music as a career. This is why I am focusing on creating a band-focused magazine spread. I would also state that the creation of music-related visual mediums, particularly band-focused projects, are a lot harder to make well. Barring groundbreaking comedies such as The Blues Brothers, This Is Spinal Tap, A Hard Day's NightBill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and Wayne's World, which I love unabashedly, musically band-related movies are difficult to pull off well (see The Blues Brothers 2000, Ricki and the Flash, etc.). Personally, I find a written medium to be preferable to that of a film, especially in an individual basis.

At the moment, my number one concern is the subject of the magazine, but this is an easy decision. I know many different local bands in the area, who all have ranging levels of success, including Castafellas, Deep Seas, Vincent Mango, Wallace, The Hey Fellows, Natsuki, and many others. Any of these bands could be a good choice to be the subject of the article, and accessing photos and live performances of these bands is easy and openly available, and all these bands gig regularly.

I suspect this will be a very interesting project, and I will be very satisfied with the work I'm producing, since I have the choice to do something I am passionate and knowledgeable about.

No comments:

Post a Comment